By MKT Correspondent
Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) has assured residents of Mbeere North Constituency free, fair and transparent elections during the by-election slated for Thursday.
Constituency Returning Officer John Kinyua said preparations are complete for the mini polls with both strategic and non-strategic materials ready for disbursement tomorrow.
He reported that a total of 55,124 registered voters are expected to take part in the exercise in 124 polling stations spread across the three wards of Evurore, Nthawa, and Muminji.
“All the materials including ballot papers, boxes and biometric kits are with us and we will be opening the boxes for distribution on Wednesday in full glare of all stakeholders,” he said.
He said they will be using the 2022 IEBC register that has been certified by the commission for use in the by-elections, dispelling fears by the opposition that it was planning to use the 2027 one, that would have locked out many potential voters who registered afterwards.
Kinyua said there is no room for manipulation of the results as the results declared at each polling station are final as per the law.
“The results that I will be declaring at the Constituency level are those submitted from the polling stations and certified by the returning officer in the presence of and signed by agents of all the candidates,” he said.
Nine candidates are expected to battle it out for the coveted seat with stiff contest expected between the ruling UDA candidate Leonard Muthende and joint opposition candidate Newton Karish of the Democratic Party (DP).
For the last week, political temperatures have reached boiling point especially for the two frontrunners, Muthende and Karish with opinion polls indicating that the outcome was too close to call for the two.
Deputy President Kithure Kindiki and former DP Rigathi Gachagua have pitched tent in the area for the last week to drum up support for their respective candidates.
Meanwhile, the Anglican Church of Kenya (ACK) Mbeere Diocese has appealed to political players and the electorate to maintain peace and tolerance during the election day.
Diocese Head Bishop Moses Masamba called for the residents to be allowed to vote freely without coercion or intimidation so that their democratic will is not only done but seen to be done.
Bishop Masamba also appealed to poll losers to accept the results and embrace the winner so that the Constituency goes back to normal speedily after months of intense campaigns.
He was speaking yesterday while cleansing ACK Karangare where chaos erupted during a church service attended by opposition leaders including Rigathi Gachagua and where one young man was injured and is currently admitted to hospital.
Similar Posts by Mt Kenya Times:
- Beyond CAB3: the structural failures eroding Zimbabwe’s politics
- Ramaphosa holds firm as impeachment call tests South Africa’s GNU
- WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DRC and Uganda a global health emergency
- MKU roars to top honours in Nairobi North conference league
- Activists move to court to stop hiving off of Nairobi National Park land

